AASL and ISTE Standards Relating to One Another Guiding Digital Citizenship
I would like to think that as I prepare to become a Future Ready Librarian (FRL) there is a foundation that I can build my knowledge upon to help others including educators and students alike in the digital world. The new AASL standards (2017) and the ISTE standards are that very foundation that will allow me and other librarians to continue to grow professionally in the ever-changing/growing world of digital literacy. The similarities and differences of both standards create a “crosswalk” where educators, librarians, administrators, and students can come together. Think of the librarian's role as a facilitator based on the ISTE standards where we are to foster, create, manage, model, and nurture use of technology in a productive, innovative, and self-directed way for all students. ISTE is a foundation for both the librarian and the student.
In the Knowledge Quest article “Now Serving: An Appealing Menu of Digital Literacy Tools & Resources” (2019) author Mary Lou Caron O’Connor, creates a connection to her students by presenting the idea of thinking about life as a menu, and has curated digital learning tools and resources in such a format. She used the five domains of the AASL standards to create her homepage based on one of the core values of students to be able to inquire. Once students have completed a project they are required to collaborate and curate feedback to one another. This is a demonstration of how students can be digitally safe, and kind. FRL are teachers, instructional partners, information specialists, leaders, and program administrators. This is one example of how the AASL standards can be utilized in a practical framework working towards creating future responsible digital citizens. You could easily connect this example to how the AASL standards support the student ISTE standard of 1.2 Digital Citizen.
References
American Association of School Librarians. (2018). School Librarians. https://standards.aasl.org/school-librarians/
Caron O’Connor, M. (2019). Now serving: an appealing menu of digital literacy tools & resources. Knowledge Quest, 47(5), 17-21.
National school library standards crosswalk with ISTE standards for students and educators. (2018). American Association of School Librarians. standards.aasl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/180828-aasl-standards-crosswalk-iste.pdf
It All Fits Together: The New National Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries Webinar
https://aasl.digitellinc.com/aasl/sessions/484/view
ISTE Standards for Students https://www.iste.org/standards/iste-standards-for-students
I also really enjoyed Carson's article and her menu of options for students. I feel that this example really shows how effective it is to utilize the AASL and ISTE standards and making it fun and enticing for students! I specifically liked that she required students to collaborate and provide constructive feedback on other students' work. This is so important for them to be able to do throughout their schooling and life.
ReplyDeleteCheryl Milburn-Jenkins
I think this idea of creating a digital menu for students is a great way to build on knowledge and connections that they already have associated with this concept and turn it into an engaging learning opportunity. There are so many ways to address each of the foundational skills and domains featured in the AASL standards while using a technological approach that students will enjoy, and also establish digital literacy skills that will prove to be useful as they continue to learn and grow. Thank you for sharing this great example and more information about how we can better prepare ourselves to be Future Ready Librarians!
ReplyDelete-Christina Lunetta
I really enjoyed the digital menu referenced in Carson's article. I am thinking about how to implement this with my middle and high school students as I have students from 4K -12th grade! The crosswalks provided by ALA are so important in our work, the ISTE crosswalk and the Future Ready Librarians crosswalk. I'm not sure if you're a Facebook user, but if you are there is a Future Ready Librarians group that has been very useful to me in my current librarianship!
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteSeeing these standards as a building block of librarianship in the education system was a reminder of how libraries in schools are both part of the school and part of the library network. Seeing the standards it is easy to see on paper how these two idea come together in order to encourage students to be well rounded. Wish you the best.
Ash