Blog Post # 2 Information Literacy, Technology, and Digital/Media Intersect
The P21 Framework was a real eye opener for me this week. As an employee of a local school district whose current motto is to empower each child to design the future, I often wondered where some of their framework, and research to begin this initiative came from. After reading the definitions of the P21 Framework I had an ah-ha moment and made the connection. I even teach “power skills” to my students that include critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Media Literacy is a topic that I am passionate about, and part of my Philosophy Statement and Personal Development Plan from SLIS 701. I spent most of that course learning and discussing the definition of information. Michael Buckland explains it ‘as thing’, “An exploration of "information" runs into immediate difficulties since information has to do with becoming informed, with the reduction of ignorance and of uncertainty, it is ironic that the term "information" is itself ambiguous and used in different ways.” (Buckland 1991)
School Librarians are becoming more aware of and faced with misinformation and disinformation in a growing world of social media use. My belief is that media literacy education is at the forefront of librarianship for School Librarians. Media literacy education can provide multiple perspectives and voices to inform students’ views on a variety of subjects. In a world full of diversity, this type of literacy in our schools’ curriculum is of value to engage in conversations that are often uncomfortable, but necessary for everyone to hear and learn from individuals from all walks of life. In my research so far I found a unique ongoing opportunity to get involved with a project called the Critical Media Project https://criticalmediaproject.org/. As I continue my career I am hoping to be able to pursue this project in more depth as time allows.
References
Buckland, M. K. (1991). Information as thing. Journal of the American
Society for Information Science, 42(5), 351-360.
http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~buckland/thing.html
De Abreu, B. (2021). Gatekeeping Misinformation with Media Literacy Education. Knowledge
Quest, 50(2), 26–31.
P21 Partnership for 21st Century Learning A Network of Battelle for Kids. (2019). Framework & resources. https://www.battelleforkids.org/networks/p21/frameworks-resources
The Liturgists. (Hosts). March 7, 2017. Fake news & media literacy. The Liturgists Podcast [Audio Podcast]. https://anchor.fm/the-liturgists-podcast/episodes/Fake-News--Media-Literacy-eutfrm
Comments
Post a Comment