Blog Post # 3 School Librarians as Technology Integration Leaders
*I can just hear it now, "Not another technology resource for teachers to use..."
Over the past several years or more there has been a rapid shift in digital modes of instruction and a greater need in personalized learning (Boyer, 2016). It seems like all teachers are being asked to do is utilize another technological platform that will make teaching easier. And yet, most of the time these resources sit idle and unused by teachers. The complaint I hear so often is when will there be time for that technology in between the rest of the curriculum. Well, as a new librarian who is not only a media specialist, but an educator I am here to help! School Librarians play a vital role in helping students develop their 21-century skills to become more responsible in using technology as an effective tool for learning, as well as ensuring they are prepared to succeed and participate in a digital society (Johnston, 2012). By now you must be saying, "well get on with it!" Here I would like to introduce:
It is free from the state (South Carolina) for the next several years.
It is a Learning Object Repository - that lets you search all the digital resources we have and search them all in one place. Built in tutorials - but since time is limited let me help you now!
Now Safari Montage is integrated into your google classroom assignments as an add.
Let me help you use this new LOR to guide your lessons, and create assignments for student research. If you would like we can build your playlists for certain subjects for research in your ELA classes to help assist students in their informational writing or with presentation assignments.
Students cannot be expected to use the technology effectively if you as there teacher are not comfortable with it as well (Johnston, 2012). I know that this can be an exciting new digital resource for teachers to use, but it can also be overwhelming. That is why I want to help! Email me to set up a time to sit either in small groups or one on one to help. Also see the library's website for district created playlists that are in Safari Montage.
*NOTE:
The above platform is one that my current school district is trying to get teachers to utilize more in their classrooms. Before I changed grade levels and moved schools this past school year, I was a Digital Learning Lead for grades 3-5 that worked with other Digital Learning Coaches in my district. This is how my district works with it's librarians to support technology integration in our schools. I wanted to create a "blogshare" post that was relevant to something I would like to see in our schools offered by our librarians. At the beginning of the school year this resource was introduced to us teachers. Now, I had some background knowledge, but the presentation was lacking in support for teacher use. This is definitely one way that librarianship can be used to support teachers as well as the technology. Safari Montage really is a great resource, but the reality is that teachers do not have time to learn all about how to use it!
Hey Fannie Boeman,
ReplyDeleteSafari Montage seems like a great resource for teachers to use. It is very useful that it lets you search all the digital resources in one place. I really like that though out this post I can hear your voice coming through. This makes the post easier to read. I think you are doing a great job with your current school district helping teachers connect with this online resource. Thank you so much for sharing this week, something that you actually use.
Erin Castle