Blog Post #6 Social Media Tool
In my pursuit of my Master’s Degree I have realized that I want to be able to make a continued impact on the lives of students in the classroom. What does this mean now? Well, after much contemplation, and speaking with fellow colleagues I decided to transfer programs. This also means that I am going to use my current Twitter account I use as a teacher for this assignment. I felt like it would be plausible for me to be able to show how I have built my social media following using hashtags and helping/networking with other teachers in the world of Twitter. I keep my account public and only post educational tweets.
This account is not used for personal posts.
This summer I began with a trend of #clearthelist, and still have my Amazon Wishlist in my profile. And my pinned tweet is thanking a fellow tweeter for a mentor text I received off of my wishlist to use in my classroom! When I joined this online campaign to help support the out of pocket cost of being a classroom teacher I never imagined I would take my Twitter following from about 10 to now 88 followers.
At the beginning of the school year, my principal encouraged us all to use Twitter to help spread the word about how we are growing our students this year. Communication with our parents and community is one of our school wide initiatives for this year. He said that he began using the #itsgrowtime so that we should too. I do have a pretty amazing administrative team. Although, managing grad classes, being a mom & wife, and teaching full time I have to admit I am not as active as I want to be on my Twitter account. Also, as a teacher or librarian you need to make sure you have an updated media consent form/list from parents/guardians to know who is allowed to be included on social media posts. I try my best to just make sure no identifiable features (or cover student faces with emojis) are included in my photos just to be sure.


Comments
Post a Comment