Blog Post # 7 Cyberbullying

 


Blog Post #7 Cyberbullying


Do you feel inadequate after surfing through your facebook newsfeed? 

“The Seven Digital Deadly Sins”

Envy: Comparing ourselves to others on social media. 

How often do you try to bake a cake off of Pinterest, and then post a picture with the hashtag #pinterestfail comparing your cake to the photo off of the site?


Image from a Buzzfeed article online, titled “2. This demonic creation that belongs at the bottom of a fiery pit:” side by side pictures of a Lamb shaped bread loaf one perfectly created while the other looks like a cartoon bread loaf. 


I know I have, and I am sure if you think long about it, you or someone you know has too. This is just the beginning of how social media impacts our self-image and can lead to a self inflicted version of cyberbullying. With the use of many social media platforms on the rise, how do we help our youth or even adults navigate their self-worth? There are many questions to be answered…


The woman from the site The Seven Deadly Digital Sins, under “Envy” even talks about the statistic that 1 in 3 people leave unhappy after looking at others social media posts. She talks about how we are pretending to be someone that we aren’t and saying how this is why young people are so miserable. I think about how when I was growing up it was comparing myself to the images in magazines and television actors. Now, in the age of social media where access to information is easier, are we creating a generation of young adults that we only see themselves as a comparison to someone else who they think is better than them? 


References:


Bassi, I. (2019, March 19). 19 Pinterest cake fails that are just begging to be laughed at. Buzzfeed. https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishabassi/hilarious-pinterest-cake-fails


National Film Board of Canada. (2022). Seven Deadly Digital Sins. http://sins.nfb.ca/#/Grid









Comments