Blog Post # 8 MakerSpaces
I know the importance of making a connection with all students, and this should include those that may not have the time in the library to create in your MakerSpace. While digital MakerSpaces became something we were exposed to during a pandemic where we needed to think “outside the box” of how to interact with students & patrons alike. But even prior to the pandemic librarians were thinking, “How can I take my ideas with me?” One librarian shared on her blogspot in 2014 while she was going to a conference to give a presentation focused on maker-spaces to educators, librarians, administrators, and so on.
An image from Shannon McClintock Miller’s blog of her floral, black, white, yellow Vera Bradley, a designer bag packed full that the zipper appears to bulge.
I love her passion about how maker-spaces can be any size, fit anywhere, and contain anything. The sky can be the limit where it comes to our creativity. This is where this week’s lecture from Dr. Moorefield-Lang makes a connection to how librarians’ maker-spaces don’t have to be expensive or the latest/greatest technology offered. Not that there's anything wrong with the fancy 3D printer. But from where I am sitting as a classroom teacher, my students' only time to get to the library is to check out books. In our elementary school 4th & 5th graders no longer have lessons in the libraries like the younger grades do. This is where I think having small kits available for students to have to create in a maker-space on the go would be a great addition to a school library. You can also connect technology with the kits such as available apps or even books that can be read with the kits. If funding is an issue creating a donor’s chose or writing a grant could be an option as well as community donations of recycled materials to create a variety of kits!
References
Miller, S. M.(2014, December 6). I created a little makerspace to-go.....It even includes a makerspace mobile too! The Library Voice. https://vanmeterlibraryvoice.blogspot.com/2014/12/i-created-little-makerspace-to-goit.html
Moorefield-Lang, H. (2021). Makerspaces summer. [Lecture recording video].
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWQ6B4UnZaA
I love the idea of having a Makers Space on the go! A lot of my research also talked about the expensive 3D Printers and some of the latest and greatest technology. But looking at my district and their budgeting, it is hard to get some of the most high end technology. I really enjoyed you sharing that these spaces dont always need to have the most expensive things, as long as its still meeting the overall goal of what a Makers Space should be! I also liked seeing that there are other educators out there that are making it work, and even created ones that can be on-the-go, because the way that schools are working right now (at least in my district) a lot of related arts teachers and specialities teachers are having to be on the go with all of their items, and I never would have thought about having Makers Spaces on the go as well!
ReplyDelete